[CentOS-devel] Re: New nx/freenx RPMS for CentOS-4 i386 in the Testing Repo

Kay Diederichs

kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Jan 4 09:28:00 UTC 2007

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 12:19 +0100, Kay Diederichs wrote:
>> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> The NX and FreeNX RPMS in the testing Repository have been upgraded.
>>> Here is what has changed:
>>>
>>> NX:
>>>
>>> 1.  Incorporated the latest No Machine releases from this announcement:
>>> http://www.nomachine.com/news-read.php?idnews=188
>>>
>>> FreeNX:
>>>
>>> 1.  Upgraded to the latest SVN version (revision 282) to fix the
>>> xosview / xclock issues that are noted before.
>>>
>>> 2.  Renamed (and modified) the former patch named fc5patch.diff to
>>> CentOS-4-patch.diff
>>>
>>> 3.  Removed nxclient.diff as that functionality was rolled in already
>>> with SVN revision 282.
>>>
>>> 4.  Added nxnode slave mode (and nxserver-helper).
>>>
>>> I think this version is more stable than the last ... please test and
>>> provide feedback so we can roll this out.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Johnny Hughes
>>>
>> My feedback for the new packages:
>>
>> a) nxsetup is overly smart because it requires --override even for --help
>>
>> b) On the server I had to
>> 1) nxsetup   --uninstall   --purge   --override
>> 2) nxsetup --override
>> 3) then accept the defaults
>> 4) the resulting error messages
>> -------
>> Error: Invalid value
>> "APPLICATION_LIBRARY_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2:/usr/lib/libXext.so.6.4:/usr/lib/libXcomp.so.1:/usr/lib/libXcompext.so.1:/usr/lib/libXrender.so.1.2"
>> Error: Could not find 1.5.0 or 2.0.0 version string in nxagent. NX 1.5.0
>> or 2.0.0 backend is needed for this version of FreeNX.
>> -------
>> do not appear to be harmful because the server works ok.
>> I know this _should_ not be necessary but it _is_ necessary for me
>> because otherwise my client says "NX server disabled or not installed",
>> or something to that effect. I guess this may be a "local problem" of
>> some kind (i.e. me not understanding the "client key" business), and not
>> related to the new nx version or package.
>
> Not sure why you would need to rerun nxsetup.  On install there is a
> client ID key that is in /etc/nxsever and that key just needs to be cut
> and pasted into the key section on the client machines ... nxsetup
> should never need to be run.
>
> There are directions here:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/FreeNX
>
> That override section was specifically added by Rick Stout of Fedora
> Extras to make it difficult to run NX setup as many people were killing
> their installs.  I could remove it, but would rather not.
>> c) the problems with the color maps are indeed fixed
>>
>> d) a new problem (at least compared to nx-1.5.0-1.centos4.i386) is that
>> the session cannot be terminated or suspended by signalling the client
>> (on a CentOS-4 machine): clicking the "X" of the client's window or even
>> ALT-F4 does not result in a "xmessage" window where "suspend",
> [...]

Johnny,

given your hint, I installed the client on the server machine (which
also pulled in libstdc++-296). I also updated the client (from 2.0.0 to
2.1.0-11) on the CentOS-4 host which I use to access the server. The
result: now everything works as expected.

So it wasn't the "nxsetup thing"; it was the client, in one way or the
other.

thanks,
Kay