bugs.centos.org (was RE: [CentOS-devel] Re: kernel-2.6.9-42.37.EL.c4test is available for i686 and x86_64 in the Testing Repo)

John Summerfield

debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 7 12:35:35 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> It seems to me that the word "issue" is frequently used when someone
>> doesn't wish to acknowledge a bug, outage or other problem or
>> deficiency exists with their product or service.
>
> The reason why we prefer to think of it as being an issue tracker rather
> than a bug tracker is because we use the bugs.centos.org setup for
> things other than bugs as well.
>
> eg. We often ask for good and bad feedback on packages in the testing
> repositories on the "issue tracker". We might also register an issue at
> bugs.centos.org and actually report it elsewhere where the bug really
> exists and use the bugs.centos.org ticket as just that - an issue
> tracker. There have also often been many situations where we've tracked
> specific driver issues ( some bugs, mostly just user issues ) there as
> well.
>
> I suppose most organisations have a support system, a bug tracker, a
> contact and knowledge base setup. We just have the mailing lists and the
> issue tracker :)

I'll try to remember that in CentOS, "issue" usually means "bug" or
"problem:-)" I found myself wondering what on earth Johnny was talking
about a few moments ago.

I have learned a fairly liberal interpretation of "bug," which can
reasonably include documentation problems (including absence and lack of
clarity) and suggestions for improvement. And design and even
specification errors: it seems to me the fact that mkisofs can modify
its source tree is a bug even though this behaviour is documented.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait