[CentOS-devel] Re: Zero day updates upstream

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Mar 16 16:54:08 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh spake the following on 3/16/2007 9:44 AM:
> C. Halstead wrote:
>> ----- "Karanbir Singh"
>> <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>>> Just talking to Lance and Johnny online, and we feel the best way
>>> forward might be to add an Media-Updates/ repo on the iso's itself -
>>> then list both the local media updates as well as mirror.centos.org
>>> updates repo's in the anaconda screen, both disabled.
>>> We feel this gives us the max wins in each direction ( but will
>>> slightly increase the data size on the last cd, as packages from cd-1
>>> will move to cd-2 etc.
>>> I will still try and ensure that a minimum install is possible using
>>> only cd-1, but cant promise that.
>>> - KB
>> +1 to this if we can still produce a single-CD minimal install.  IMO
>> the value if a one-disc install is higher than the value of a release
>> that contains the initial update set.  In a month or two there will be
>> additional updates to apply anyway, so it doesn't seem prudent to
>> sacrifice the one-disc install for the life of the release to gain a
>> (very) small convenience up front.  Just my .02
>> ---
> if we can get a few more people voting this way, then I feel we have a
> decision on this issue.
> - KB
I have to say that keeping as much upstream compatibility as possible is a
good thing. Fixing the broken things is good, and I know that the CentOS team
has probably fixed some bugs that upstream is appreciative of.
But changing the release CD's might turn into a nightmare for the maintainers.
Do you do it just for the initial release?
How about for the next rollup?
And after that, what?

If you see a critical bug that a package will fix, adding it would be a plus,
as was the i586 installer you added. But keep the upstream compatibility where
you can. It will make passing bug reports up the chain a little easier.
"Even though you have to cook your own food, you are still eating at their
table for free"

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!