[CentOS-devel] Re: Re: Octave for CentOS5

Greg Swallow

greg at runlevel7.ca
Thu Mar 8 17:56:56 UTC 2007

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Not that I am complaining ... but don't you think if all the CentOS
> Developers sign a cla and become Fedora Extras Developers that starts
> many questions?
>
> I certainly don't think that the CORE CentOS developers can do that ...
> maybe I am wrong.  I guess it depends on the cla.

I really don't see the problem with the Fedora CLA (Contributor License
Agreement).   Think of it as giving you the ability to make changes
upstream, rather than just report bugs upstream.  Changes (usually) must
be made to packages in Fedora before they go into RHEL as you well know.

Someone said their company wouldn't let them sign it even - I don't
understand how a company would want you to work on open-source software,
but not on Fedora - Fedora is the definition of open-source software!  I
didn't take the time to read the CLA when I signed it, but looking at it
now: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Licenses/CLA - it looks pretty
benign to me. Although the last line - 'All your base are belong to us'
is a bit worrying ;-)

Seriously though, if you or your company have a problem with something
in the agreement then why don't you talk to someone at Fedora about it,
or have your lawyer look at it if you really think it is so sinister.

Greg