[CentOS-devel] Firefox 1.5.x or 2.x in CentOS 5

Johnny Hughes

Fri Mar 23 20:19:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 11:25 -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 08:22:39PM +0200, Hristo Benev wrote:
> > >From Mozilla.com
> >
> > [------------------------------------------
> > Firefox 1.5: This version of Firefox will be supported until April 24, 2007 with security and stability updates. We strongly encourage all users to upgrade to Firefox 2.

> > If I remember correctly CentOS 5 beta comes with 1.5.x
> >
> > Will be there an upgrade RPM to 2.x? (I know that I can install it manually...)
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I know the Fedora team wanted to stick with 1.5 and wait until 3.0 was
> released.  Dunno what RH/Cent will do.  My guess is stick with 1.5.
>
> Ray

The current version RHEL 5 has Firefox 1.5 ... CentOS 5 will as well.

IF 1.5 stays or goes in CentOS 5 is of course totally dependent on what
upstream does.  Whether it gets upgraded to 2.x or 3.x or stays at
1.5 .. it will get updates for security until 2014 when CentOS 5 is
retired. (OR 2012 for CentOS-4).

CentOS-4 has moved from Mozilla to seamonkey and from CentOS 1.0.x to
1.5.x ... so, the technology will be updated and safe, regardless of the
version released.  It may not be latest and greatest, however.