[CentOS-devel] Zero day updates upstream

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Mar 15 21:50:55 UTC 2007

hi guys,

Something to talk about while we prep C-5 for release...

There were some packages that were updated along with release, I can
imagine this was since the tree must have been frozen a while before
actual release upstream. However, we dont have that problem - the tree
hasent been released.

So, what does everyone thing ? Should we release the tree with the
updates rolled in ? or should we release the tree exactly as upstream
did, and also provide the updates to go alongside - but in the updates
repo ?

One thing that I would be very hesitant to update would be the kernel,
since updating that would imply updating the installer kernel as well.
Which is going to cause lots of issues since its known that vendors and
support people will ask for specific kernels at specific times ( eg.
installed with x.y.z and 5.0.0 )

- KB