[CentOS-devel] Zero day updates upstream

John Summerfield

debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 15 23:24:29 UTC 2007

James Olin Oden wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>> hi guys,
>>
>> Something to talk about while we prep C-5 for release...
>>
>> There were some packages that were updated along with release, I can
>> imagine this was since the tree must have been frozen a while before
>> actual release upstream. However, we dont have that problem - the tree
>> hasent been released.
>>
>> So, what does everyone thing ? Should we release the tree with the
>> updates rolled in ? or should we release the tree exactly as upstream
>> did, and also provide the updates to go alongside - but in the updates
>> repo ?
>>
> As a consumer of CentOS release's my point of view is that having it
> all rolled in as much as possible would be better.   OTOH, I can see
> from your point of view that mimicking their tree religously would
> have some benefits too.

I too would like them rolled in. If I userstand anaconda-list properly,
it's now possible to include multiple repos in the install tree.

Why not add updates? In the CD images, it could be a separate CD so one
could just download (or create) a refreshed CD image. Possibly, updates
(U{1,2,3...} could be done this way too.

In the DVD image, it might be a separate directory tree that's simply
replaced.

Also, pls look ar Jigdo (see Debian). It would allow users to
  Download master templates, and fill it in from
a. Earlier ISOs
b. One or more mirrors.

The final result is a bit-for-bit copy of the original, and jigdo checks
the checksum.

To create U1 ISOs, folk could use jigdo to fetch the template, download
(maybe from the local LAN if they've been downloaded wity yum and kept)
all changes and create new images without downloading stuff they already
have.

--

Cheers
John