[CentOS-devel] Zero day updates upstream

John Summerfield

debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Mar 16 20:01:35 UTC 2007

Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> On Mar 16, 2007, at 12:44 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> C. Halstead wrote:

>>> +1 to this if we can still produce a single-CD minimal install.  IMO
>>> the value if a one-disc install is higher than the value of a release
>>> that contains the initial update set.  In a month or two there will
>>> be additional updates to apply anyway, so it doesn't seem prudent to
>>> sacrifice the one-disc install for the life of the release to gain a
>>> (very) small convenience up front.  Just my .02
>>> ---
>>
>> if we can get a few more people voting this way, then I feel we have a
>> decision on this issue.
>>
>> - KB
>
>  I am agreeable to this, but I would actually prefer to simply mimic
> upstream -- release 5.0 with the same base pacakges as upstream, and
> provide necessary updates in the updates repo.  I don't see a strong
> reason to spend time modifying the CD images to contain a few package
> updates that are easily downloaded after install time.

"easily downloaded?"

How long since you lived with this? I don't have a choice!
[summer at bilby ~]$ ping -c5 -q beta.centos.org
ping: unknown host beta.centos.org
[summer at bilby ~]$ ping -c5 -q beta.centos.org
PING beta.centos.org (72.13.100.148) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- beta.centos.org ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 4 received, 20% packet loss, time 13070ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1073.620/1254.659/1491.147/184.761 ms, pipe 3
[summer at bilby ~]$
[summer at bilby ~]$

some of my systems rarely get software updates because it's too
difficult. Software updates are rarely accessible when I install.