[CentOS-devel] Building perl (and perl threads memory leak)...

Sat Mar 10 12:57:34 UTC 2007
James Olin Oden <james.oden at gmail.com>

On 3/9/07, Charlie Brady <charlieb-centos-devel at budge.apana.org.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, James Olin Oden wrote:

> >>  Please make sure the RedHat's bugzilla is aware of the problem.
> >
> > Sure...I'll see if I can make a simpler reproducer.  It seems like
> > when you write something threads in any language simple goes out the
> > door.
>
> Yep. Didn't someone famous once say that threads is for those who can't
> work out how to use select()?
Funny you should say that.  The original design of this daemon was to
use select with mulitple processes connected with pipes.  I actually
know how to do that but at some point as an alternative I started
looking at perl threads, and it looked like it would simplify things.
I think in the end it did somewhat, but instead of pipes you have
fifos to communicate between the master thread and the listener
threads...sounds pretty isomorphic to me.  Furthermore, I still have
to serialize objects going into the fifo because perl does not support
just sending an object through the fifo...guess what...I would have
had to do that with pipes and select().

Cheers...james