[CentOS-devel] yum 2.4.3 updates for CentOS 3 and 4 in the testing repo

Daniel de Kok daniel at centos.org
Thu May 10 19:56:09 UTC 2007

Hi all,

We have added yum 2.4.3 updates for CentOS 3 and 4 to the CentOS
testing repository. These packages introduce the following changes:

* CentOS 4: yum now requires the yum-metadata-parser package. This is a
  backport of the yum C metadata parser, and provides an significant
  performance increase over the Python metadata parser.

* CentOS 3: this is the first release of yum 2.4 for CentOS 3, and we
  plan to provide this as an optional upgrade through the CentOSPlus
  repository. We have added code to yum 2.4 for default kernel handling
  (as setting the default kernel after kernel updates was handled by yum
  2.0). Additionally, the package also requires the yum C metadata
  parser.

Please test these RPMs, and provide feedback. We are especially
interested in stress testing of the new components (default kernel
handling on CentOS 3, and the C metadata parser on CentOS 3 and 4).

Information on using the CentOS Testing repository can be found on the
CentOS Wiki at:

http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories

Thanks,
Daniel