[CentOS-devel] yum 2.4.3 updates for CentOS 3 and 4 in the testing repo

Michael Paesold mpaesold at gmx.at
Wed May 23 11:28:32 UTC 2007

Daniel de Kok wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 11:16 +0200, Michael Paesold wrote:
>> Concerning the kernel update handling: There hasn't been a kernel update
>> for CentOS 3 in quite some time, so it's hard to test on a production
>> server. I will see if I can find some time to test this here on a server
>> at the office. What are you concerned about most? A system with more
>> than one kernel flavor installed?
>
> Yes, well, at least two things could use some more testing:
>
> - System with multiple kernel flavors (having more than one kernel in
> the update set).
> - Systems that use LILO.

I don't use LILO on any system, so I can't help here. But I tested the
kernel update for multiple kernel flavors. I downgraded a system to
2.4.21-47.EL and installed both the UP as well as the smp kernel.

After that I tried several variations of yum update, i.e. "yum update",
"yum update kernel", "yum update kernel-smp", all variations with each
of the kernel flavors set to default in /etc/grub.conf, and with one or
both of the new versions of the kernel flavor uninstalled.

The behavior was correct for all cases. The new kernel was always set to
default when the flavor had been default before, and it was never set to
default when the flavor had not been default before.

When the default was set to the new version, a message was displayed:
Setting default GRUB kernel to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-47.0.1.EL
or for the smp kernel:
Setting default GRUB kernel to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-47.0.1.ELsmp

Btw., this is a system previously upgraded from RedHat 9.0 to CentOS 3,
so it was not just a clean install. Seems to work fine here!

> Thanks for your testing so far!

Thank you very much for working on this! The new yum is so much better.
I am looking forward to having this in the plus repo for CentOS 3.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold