[CentOS-devel] Re: Third repos CentOS 5 compatibility

Mon May 7 20:03:21 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Jim Perrin wrote:

>> Any chance of joining forces with Scientific Linux in the add-on
>> department at least to the point of having common repositories in yum
>> (perhaps disabled by default)?  Their goals seem similar including the
>> support lifetime and they already have a packaged sun java:
>>
>> https://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/5x/features/added
>
> There was some talk on the SL list of merging with/using centos as a
> base for SL. We do discuss things with their devs (You may see Connie
> pop up on the lists from time to time). I  would like to see things
> move to a bit more of a 'shared' community in that respect, but as it
> stands now, you should be able to use the SL repos with centos. It's
> all built to work for the same common code.

Thanks - personally I am hoping for a packaged/maintained sun java.  I
have a bunch of machines still running CentOS 3.x and a hand-installed
java 1.4.x that I'd like to rebuild with something current.  I'll try
that one unless something else shows up soon.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com