[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5 build scripts

Fri May 18 15:34:06 UTC 2007
Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson at esri.com>

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 09:40:13AM -0400, Jim Perrin wrote:
> On 5/18/07, Nikolay Ulyanitsky <lystor at lystor.org.ua> wrote:
>
> >May be a good idea to create howto on CentOS Wiki of building discs
> >process to give users possibility of creating CentOS based distributions
> >for highly specialized purposes?
>
> While I like the idea of folks using centos for custom projects and
> everything, I'm not sure I'd call this a 'good idea' following the
> oracle fiasco. It's easy enough to create kickstart files and
> otherwise customize installs. I'm not so sure I like the idea of
> centos becoming a meta-distribution to help spawn other distros. This
> dilutes the community and divide the effort and momentum behind
> centos.

I dunno that I'd feel too concerned about this.  Anyone with the
wherewithal to create and sustain development of a distro will be able
to figure out all these steps on their own no doubt.  After all, you
guys got CentOS going didn't you? :)

The average joe might be able to follow the instructions/tips and roll
their own CentOS based distro, but I would be surprised to see it pick
up steam unless they were truly motivated / competent in which case
they probably wouldn't need the instructions in the first place...

I think it'd be interesting to have instructions available for at least
replacing / upgrading the kernel on the installation CD's.