[CentOS-devel] Areca RAID drivers

Tue Sep 4 21:34:09 UTC 2007

I have a CentOS-4 server with an Areca RAID that I would like to update
to CentOS-5.  Have been building my own CentOS-4 RPMS based on
bodgit-n-scarper SRPM, but that is a kludge of a spec file that needs to
be hand-edited and rebuilt for each kernel.

http://www.bodgit-n-scarper.com/download/centos4/SRPMS//kernel-module-arcmsr-2.6.9-22.0.1.EL-1.20.00.07-1.src.rpm

Google found various interesting things for CentOS/EL-5:

http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2007/04/26/p168
http://faq.areca.com.tw/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=303
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1958
http://www.ehoeve.com/Centos5-Experimental/
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/smeserver/releases/testing/8/smedev/SRPMS/arcmsr-kmod-1.20.0X.13-1.2.6.18_8.1.3.el5.src.rpm

Karanbir provided driver disk images and indicated that kmod drivers
would be in CentOS-5 Extras, but apparently these never materialized.
The only src.rpm I could turn up was the last link above, and I did get
CentOS-5 x86_64 kmod-style drivers to build from that one.  Found other
indications that these drivers MIGHT be in the standard 5.1 kernel.

Before I proceed with a roll-your-own approach again, I would like to
inquire about the possibility of CentOS support for Areca RAID.  Will
Extras or Plus kernel support be forthcoming?  Should I hold off for
5.1?

Thanks,
Phil