[CentOS-devel] possibility of an extra-hardware-support SIG

gjgowey at tmo.blackberry.net gjgowey at tmo.blackberry.net
Thu Sep 6 03:52:44 UTC 2007

Just a couple thoughts from the sidelines.

If there needs to be a forum for development of a particular item of interest then why not have the founder of the idea start a sourceforge project to get the ball rolling?  This way the idea can go from conception to being worked on using the ideas of its founder without tying up or waiting for resources reserved for more mainline projects.   To keep the ball rolling give the core members of centos full access privileges so that the project never risks becoming orphaned.  Starting a wiki on the centos main site to post and discuss these splinter projects might also be a good idea as it could serve as a master link list of sorts for these projects instead of relying on word of mouth or searching through mailing list archives.

The advantage of the above system is that it would allow the splinter projects to do as they please without worrying about the affects on mainline resources during their alpha and beta stages (which would be a problem if the code of such projects were housed under the plus repository).  Once the project has matured sufficiently then it can be evaluated for inclusion in the plus repo.  It also has the advantage of allowing such splinter projects to be as active or as idle as they want without them being forgotten (courtesy of the wiki) or orphaned (courtesy of sharing full control with the core centos members).

With regards to your unsupported drivers problem, it might be worth making a small program that generates a web page to just display open issues (one row per issue).  This way people can see what's out there to be fixed (and maybe a splinter project can form to work on it).

Just my 2 cents.

Kindest regards,

Geoff

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.