[CentOS-devel] Release farkage potential

Maciej Żenczykowski zenczykowski at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 19:51:28 UTC 2007

There should not be a great space usage associated with this - you
only need to store one copy of each rpm/hdr file.  (Unless they
actually rebuild everything for 5.1... which seems very unlikely)
The only actual 'extra' disk storage space would be cause by storing
actual iso cd/dvd images - as mentioned many times before, this can be
gotten around with jigdo.

5.0/arch/base - base 5.0 from release time
5.0/arch/updates - updates till 5.1 + security updates to 5.0 past 5.1
release [no automatic upgrade to 5.1 path]
5.1/arch/base - base 5.1 ie. Update 1 from release time
5.1/arch/updates - updates till 5.2 (+ when 5.2 comes out: security
updates to 5.1 past the 5.2 release [no automatic update to 5.2 path]

5 - symlink which points to current version (ie. 5.0 currently, soon
5.1, afterwards 5.2).

You want 5.0?  You ask for 5.0, You want 5.newest?  You ask for '5'.

How do you upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1?  Either change the yum repo
definitions or do a manual rpm -hiv
http:///....///centos-release-5.1.noarch.rpm

[remember all rpms/hdrs are hardlinked to each other were identical
within  multiple 5.x/arch/base,update directories]

Cheers,
Maciej