[CentOS-devel] How is updated the csgfs repo in centos4?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Sep 8 19:30:26 UTC 2007

Roger Peña wrote:
> --- Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/8/07, Roger Peña <orkcu at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> hi
>>>
>>> I just came to wonderling how centos team update
>> the
>>> csgfs repo, what is the procedure to do that ?.
>>>
>>> I use csgfs from centos and works great, thanks a
>> lot
>>> for provide it :-)
>>>
>>> but how you know when uptream provide an update
>> for
>>> the packages?
>>> I notice the last update because I read the rss
>> alert
>>> feed but not because they use the redhat-announce
>>> list, neither centos send a messages when there is
>> an
>>> update to centos-announce :-(
>>>
>>> right now I am facing the problem with a lacking
>> of
>>> *-kernel packages in csgfs for the newest
>> centos4's
>>> kernel; I can, and will, compile the srpms from
>>> uptreams for the new  -55.0.6 kernel but I am just
>>> wonderling how others solve this problem...
>> I suppose you will get an authentic answer from
>> Johnny Hughes, but to
>> give you a quick update on this ... this is what he
>> said on the centos
>> IRC this morning.
>>
>>  <hughesjr>  hi ... I am doing the new centosplus
>> kernel now .. and as
>> soon as that is done, I will be working on csgfs
>> kernel modules for
>> the normal kernel as well as the DRBD and XFS kernel
>> modues for the
>> plus and normal kernel
>
> so, it looks like he just passthrough the "updates
> jobs that have to be done" queue ? ;-)
>
> I hope he will anwser my email :-) but...
> first I don't want to irespect jonny and the rest of
> centos team, they are doing a great amazing job, a lot
> of peoples including me , are beneficiating from their
> work.
> but, is there any chance that others "channels" that
> uptreams release in its public ftp (mirrors) system
> get processed like the os/update channel ?
> I barely remember that someone from centos team said
> sometime in the past that the update release in centos
> is almost automatic: uptream release a package and
> some scripts in centos dev pick them and compile them
> and then release them as centos updates, am I correct?
> if that is the case, could csgfs (or RHCS and RHGFS)
> could be included in such enviroment?
> if the procedure is just manual.... then I will
> accept, without questions, centos team priorities :-)
> ;-)

The answer is that there are plenty of manual steps required whether we
are talking about normal updates or csgfs items.

The csgfs updates are particularly tricky because of the build
requirements (several packages are i386 others i686 ... package "A" from
the update needs to be built and installed to build package "B", etc.
So the CSFGS updates are more manual than the normal updates.

However, there is also a checking against upstream binary phase for all
updates that is also manual (normal and csgfs).

After that phase, and after installing and testing locally, then there
is a release.

Besides that, there are only 24 hours in a day :D

I am currently working on CSGFS for centos-4, you can expect it to be
updated within the next 24 hours if everything builds and tests OK.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes