[CentOS-devel] Re: CentOS Errata

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Sep 4 22:36:26 UTC 2007

Kevan Benson wrote:
> I just might, since I need to process all the CentOS errata anyways.

interesting, why ?

> I could whip up some MySQL schema that stores the relevant errata info CentOS
> publishes and a CGI or PHP script of some sort could display it as needed,
> RSS or HTML, even take care of the mailing when a new errata is submitted (or
> after X days and new errata exist).  That would kill two (or three!) birds
> with one stone.

considering we are unlikely to have millions of announcements, I'd pass
on the database. Surely, a flat file should do the job nicely. Mailings
for CentOS-5 come from the buildsystem, and there is a fair bit of
automation with CentOS-4/3 announcements as well.

> Although, if you already have something lined up for the RSS, it might make
> sense to just generate the HTML for the errata and put it up, so there's at
> least something to look at for archives.>

I seem to be missing the point here, if the rss feed exists, why do we
need to further process this into html ?

>  I'll be processing the old errata
> anyways, not hard to pull it all out and stick it in some directory structure
> while I'm at it.  That does lead to a need for someone to maintain it though.

again, i seem to be missing the point here. Why do you need to do this ?
just use the yum metadata for everything and you should be sorted.