[CentOS-devel] Release farkage potential

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 00:23:16 UTC 2007

On 9/5/07, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > As far as I understand it.. yes there will be a 5.0.1 and a 5.1.0.
>
> not clear if you meant that there are going to be 5.0.1 iso's as well ?

I do not know. I was under the impression that there would not be new
isos for 5.0.1 but that could be the ASS U ME of the sales person 3-6
months ago.

> > The 5.0.1 release should only be security errata and will be built
> > against the 5.0.0 glibc and libraries.
>
> Thats going to be quite interesting, since it might imply a completely new
> release. Lets see how it all pans out - if there are any real plans or redhat
> endorsed docs that someone can point us at, that would be great.

I have nothing but what I got from asking questions of the TAM et al a
while back. I do not know if all of 5.1 would be rebuilt or just the
parts that get technology updates.

> btw, does someone want to have a go at drafting up a policy we could use on the
> mirror.centos.org network and on external mirrors so as to minimise drivespace
> usage and still be able to offer the same user experience as upstream ? I know
> that between Johnny, Lance and I we did do some prep work for this - and a lot
> of options exist. But it would be good to get some fresh ideas on board and see
> if we can work something out that works for most people.

I was wondering if we should see about stealing the new Dell built one
for Fedora?