[CentOS-devel] Re: KDE light?

Rex Dieter

rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Sep 14 12:09:19 UTC 2007

Niki Kovacs wrote:

> Karanbir Singh a écrit :
>>
>> Now might be a good time to talk to Rex, is he on the list ? If
>> something is possible - I, for one, would really like to see the idea
>> bounce past him once.
>>
> The best implementation of this idea, IMHO, seems to be Arch's kdemod
> project: http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/
>
> It would be just *great* to have a similar project for CentOS.
> Unfortunately, I don't quite have the technical abilities to offer any
> serious help for this.

Basically, upstream kde bundles everything, so Fedora/RHEL packaging
generally follows suit(1).  To split each app/library, as you're
suggesting, packaging work/complexity increases by orders of magnitude.

Now, some similar work on this went into fedora 7, where apps not
considered "best of breed" were split into kde*-extras packages, like
the "juk in kdemultimedia-extras" example you mentioned (since amarok is
clearly superior, imo. :) )

Having said that, if this is still something you feel passionate about, it
would require a significant amount of work, so... patches welcome,
(co)maintainers needed.  As Fedora is RHEL's (and CentOS's) upstream, the
best place to go help make this happen is to join the Fedora KDE SIG:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE

-- Rex

(1) exceptions exist, especially where disk/dependency savings are great,
and pkg-split implementations are simple.