[CentOS-devel] Release farkage potential

Fri Sep 7 01:55:47 UTC 2007
Roger Peña <orkcu at yahoo.com>

--- Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> pushing out each tree, as it is, for upto 3
> sub-release deep is just plain
> stupid.
Well, I definitly can't see how the "3 sub-release
deep" (4.5.x and 5.0.x, and so on) can work in the
actual tree and procedure
updates for the "2 sub-release deep" (4.y.0) will have
greater version number than updates for "3
sub-release" so yum will install them

so, _if_ CentOS team want to provide similar package
for "premium centos support" users I can only see one
solution
break the now procedure to "hardlink" directory 4 -->
4.<lastversion>
so every "2 sub-release deep" release will have its on
repos: os, updates, csgfs, extras (just the same
channels that redhat provide, not the one that centos
owns by itseft: centosplus, addons, etc)
every 4.5, 4.6, 5.0, 5.1 need to be releases by its
own
just as mayor releases

lots of work and space to maintain, that is one of the
reason redhat charge so much ;-)

cu
roger

RedHat Certified ( RHCE )