[CentOS-devel] Re: Presto / deltarpm

Fri Sep 7 09:14:03 UTC 2007
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 18:34 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Jonathan Dieter wrote:
>>> I apologize for starting a new thread, but I've just joined the list and
>>> was therefore unable to reply to the original message.  I'm the Fedora
>>> maintainer for both yum-presto and deltarpm, as well as being upstream
>>> for yum-presto.
>> cool :)
>>
>>> I would be very willing to package both yum-presto and deltarpm for
>>> CentOS, and to offer some help with buildsys integration (which would be
>>> the tricky part).
>> well, CentOS isnt doing this stuff as yet - what we need to do first is
>> establish exactly what needs doing, how it needs to be done, and what real
>> problems are likely to come up.
>>

> If CentOS is to start building presto-enabled repositories, here's what
> needs to be done:
>
>    a. deltarpm & yum-presto added to CentOS repositories
>    b. CentOS build system modified to generate deltarpms.
>
> As for how to do "b", that depends on what CentOS is using for their
> build system.  At Fedora, the plan is to have koji generate the
> deltarpms, but I'm not sure if you're using koji.  If not, CentOS would
> need to go down a separate route.
>
> When it comes to problems, the plugin is designed to fall back to yum
> downloading the full rpms if there are any.
>
> Jonathan

We are currently not having the build system sign or push the final RPMS
(and we use a modified plague system for building), as we need to do
checks on the RPMS (to verify them against upstream) and we also have
TIGHT controls on the centos signing keys.

Our current master mirror is actually centos-3, so can we install the
required software to be able to generate the deltarpm info on centos-3?

Also ... how much extra space does the deltarpms require to implement?
We will need to totally redesign how we do centos mirroring if we
increase our repos by 1.5x current (for example).

We currently have createrepo scripts that generate metadata on the
master mirror afer RPMs are added for most arches, so we would likely
integrate the generation into that.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes