[CentOS-devel] possibility of an extra-hardware-support SIG

Sat Sep 8 19:43:03 UTC 2007

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Hummm - doesn't seem to be the case on my VMware CentOS-5 VM:
> [root at c5 ~]# rpm -q kernel
> kernel-2.6.18-8.1.8.el5
> kernel-2.6.18-8.1.8.SMP.100HZ.el5

those are not official released kernels.. :) it will be fixed before something
gets released.

> Mass public access to your buildsystem would certainly not make the job
> easier.  A common buildsystem for these add-on drivers would probably be
> a requirement for the release versions.

I am not sure I quite understand what this means ? Here is whats in place now :
a single opteron machine which has VM instances for i386 and x86_64 buildhosts -
with every kernel released so far installed, and a bunch of scripts to take a
driver source, build it for each kernel, bring all of that together into a
single CentOS-DriverDisk.ISO [1][2]

perhaps we could work out a process that people could follow to add drivers
there ? Maybe as a tarball submittion to a specific email address, or maybe
adding it to a new issue report on bugs.centos.org ? Something to think about /
work out anyway.

> Understand that you could use help.  OTOH, my experience is that if an
> issue or action-item does not have a single stuckee, it does not get
> done.  If ownership of a particular issue were adopted by a member of
> the "Value-Added Driver SIG" that should work.
>
> Would seem these drivers would be of value to others (i.e. EL, SL) as
> well.

yup, it should justwork[tm] everywhere. Maybe even with the CentOSPlus kernels
:) But I am not going to commit to that, as yet anyway.

[1] Yes, its too big to fit on a floppy
[2] Yes, it works for both CentOS-4 and CentOS-5