[CentOS-devel] Release farkage potential

Mon Sep 10 22:47:06 UTC 2007
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On 9/8/07, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Roger Peña wrote:
> > Well, I definitly can't see how the "3 sub-release
> > deep" (4.5.x and 5.0.x, and so on) can work in the
> > actual tree and procedure
>
> the sub-releases will be like :
>
> 5.0.1 + 5.1.0 being released at the same time, and being the 2 release trees for
> CentOS-5 till such time as :
>
> 5.0.2 + 5.1.1 + 5.2.0 are released at the same time, which are then the 3
> sub-releases for CentOS-5 till such time as :
>
> 5.0.3 + 5.1.2 + 5.3.0 are released at the same time.
>
> I hope this clears things up. There is no such sub-release plan for CentOS-4 (
> that I am aware of )

Actually.. that was in the air when we talked with sales.. the
reasoning for calling it 4.6 versus 4U6 was to look at allowing that
to happen... however it might be too much work and not enough
customers.

> > break the now procedure to "hardlink" directory 4 -->
> > 4.<lastversion>
>
> that raises 2 angles to the same problem.
>
> 1) should people be moved along normally, as we do now, by /5/ always pointing
> at the latest version / newest set of packages - and let users opt-in to staying
> within a sub-tree, so they would need to manually choose to stay on 5.0.x when
> 5.1.x is released.
>
> 2) We change the behavior completely and have /5/ only stay within the same
> sub-release, so when 5.1.0 is released, /5/ only points at /5.0.x tree. users
> would then need to make the manual choice of moving their machines to 5.1.x tree.
>
> Personally, I would like to go with what we have in place, and have /5/ always
> reflect the latest ( highest number ) release within 5.x.x . This is also less
> likely to cause orphaned machines when sysadmins dont make a choice at the end
> of life for a sub-release ( eg. 5.0.3 comes to an end, where do they go then ?
> since 5.3.0 would have now been released, and the changeset from 5.0.3 to 5.3.0
> might be fairly large ). So I am going to vote for (1) above.

I agree and would like to vote for 1