[CentOS-devel] KDE light?

Fri Sep 14 08:07:44 UTC 2007
John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Allow me to shortly introduce myself, since I'm new to this list. I'm an
> Austrian sysadmin living in Montpezat (South France). I'm in charge of

G'day

An important thing to understand about CentOS is that it's not _exactly_
a distribution in its own right. It's one of several built from Red Hat
Enterprise Linux sources, and aims to be pretty much a drop-in
replacement for it.

The major distinguishing feature of these RHEL clones is the support: if
one has the real thing, then (with few exceptions) one also has the
paid-for support.

If you don't want to pay the RH fees, then CentOS is a good choice. You
won't have official RH support (or costs), and you won't have the
certifications regarding compatibility with other vendors (such as
Oracle), but as far as packaging and performance are concerned, it's
determined by RH.

There are some additional packages available for CentOS, but don't expec
those packages which RH ships to be built or packaged differently.

Off-hand, I don't know of a clone that seeks to package those packages
differently. It's not something I'd counsel.

For something a little different but a little like CentOS, take a look
at Fedora.

Fedora has more packages and it has more recent technology, but it's no
featherweight either. And, I generally describe it as a rolling beta -
it's a development (as in developing RHEL) platform, and it's perfectly
possible that your system won't boot after some update (typically kernel).

You might also take a look at Kubuntu (and Edubuntu for different
reasons), both built from Debian. Like Fedora, there are regular new
releases, and mostly the supported life is fairly short, but like RHEL
there are occasional long life versions.

SUSE has a similar model to RH/Fedora , except that (AFAIK) the
long-life (aka enterprise) versions cost and I've not heard of any
clones. The free version is OpenSUSE and they must be planning on
releasing 10.3 or 11.0 RSN.

But really, this is more a user question;-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait