[CentOS-devel] CentOS-5 on i586

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Apr 7 15:59:19 UTC 2008

Alan Bartlett wrote:
> What I wrote was (a) to give support to Manuel's proposal for C5 support
> on the i586 (b) but to minimise the ever-increasing pressure on the core
> developers.

If you read the entire thread, people have offered to actually do the
work. Daniel did everything that would have been required almost a year
back, but we lost two things at the time (a) a machine to test this on,
pretty much everything we found worked with the i686 built distro and
(b) a userbase that wanted i586. At the time there was one person who
was looking to deploy a few thousand ltsp clients based around i586
cpu's. He decided it was easier for him to just move to i686 clients.

> I do what very little I am able to do, for and in the spirit of the
> CentOS Community. Until such time as it is made clear to me that I am
> not wanted, I will continue in that fashion. I've lived for over half a
> century and have a broad back.

And I am sure that your efforts are appreciated.

> Perhaps Karanbir is just having a bad day and is feeling particularly
> "spiky".

I am having a fine day, thanks. The only thing I took issue against was
your wide sweeping statement that we dont want or do anything beyond
what is in upstream. Some of us work quite hard, and do a lot of things
beyond what we need personally and what comes down the pipeline from
upstream - so my response will stay the same to anyone who says
otherwise. Irrespective of what sort of a day I am having.