[CentOS-devel] Re: CentOS-5 on i586

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Apr 7 17:51:56 UTC 2008

on 4-7-2008 10:39 AM Manuel Tuthill spake the following:
>> You have read the whole line, right? :o)
> No I stopped reading as soon as I had enough information to prove someone
> else on the internet wrong and therefore myself right and more superior.
> Now I'm just hopping that someone else don't come back and prove that the
> Geode LX is i686, I did say very early on that it's very hard to tell and I
> don't have one to test.
It looks like the Geode is i586 but with cmov functionality.

It strikes me as odd that AMD would build a 586 processor with cmov
instructions, but also build a 686 class without that instruction set. Makes
me wonder if it was an engineering snafu that was too costly to fix for the
quantity they expected to sell.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!