[CentOS-devel] Rawhide

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Tue Aug 5 23:09:39 UTC 2008

On Aug 5, 2008, at 6:06 PM, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> It doesn't matter who does it or where - making something that is
>>> not
>>> inherently backwards compatible is bound to cause pain.
>> As does making something which has to be backwards compatible all the
>> time.
> Exactly, both comments conjured a smile on my face :)

While I'm happy to see a smile on yer face, and backward compatibility
is incredibly important (you are one of the few who understands that

I'm forced to point out that the engineering changes that led to the
creation of perl-devel
packaging are quite sound. The perl package always was a messy
mixture of modules
and other "stuff", pretending otherwise is foolish.

One needs to balance fixes against compatibility on a case by case
basis. No one rule, or one policy, can be generally applied.

73 de Jeff -- who really doesn't wish to be an apologetic advocate of
Fedora "suicide"