[CentOS-devel] slow Perl on CentOS 5

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Fri Aug 29 22:02:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:

>> should explore the problem further with TUV and the CentOS
>> community. If a fix is not forthcoming from TUV, I reluctantly suggest
>> that we get together with the CentOS people and fork this portion of
>>  the distro, perhaps standardizing on Perl 5.10 . There are people
>> in the Perl community ready to assist us.
>
> While forking the whole perl subsection of the distro is a bit
> drastic, I am quite happy to have a perl in C5Plus. Does someone want
> to get in touch with Keith and get a summary on what needs fixing in
> this case ? Also - if the conversation was to take place on
> centos-devel list, would be much cooler.
>
> Upstream have said the fix will be in 5U3, and considering that might
> be still a few months away, could we get something sorted before then
> ?

To be honest, if this problem was part of RHEL5 since its inception and
only a few people until now have actually been bugged by it. I don't see a
good reason to release something now only because someone was able to make
a big poo out of it and got to slashdot.

We do not want to give attention-seekers more airtime, before we know it
everyone who finds a bug starts shouting.

(Don't read me wrong, of course it should be fixed, I am just concerned
about the motives and the generality of this bug wrt. other bugs.)