[CentOS-devel] slow Perl on CentOS 5

Wed Aug 27 23:01:14 UTC 2008
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

Note: This message was originally in the CentOS mailing list:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-August/063379.html

Transferred to centos-devel to fulfill Karanbir's wish (see below).

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org>
Date: Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 1:39 AM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] slow Perl on CentOS 5

Akemi Yagi wrote:

> should explore the problem further with TUV and the CentOS
> community. If a fix is not forthcoming from TUV, I reluctantly suggest
> that we get together with the CentOS people and fork this portion of
>  the distro, perhaps standardizing on Perl 5.10 . There are people
> in the Perl community ready to assist us.

While forking the whole perl subsection of the distro is a bit
drastic, I am quite happy to have a perl in C5Plus. Does someone want
to get in touch with Keith and get a summary on what needs fixing in
this case ? Also - if the conversation was to take place on
centos-devel list, would be much cooler.

Upstream have said the fix will be in 5U3, and considering that might
be still a few months away, could we get something sorted before then
?

( questions, since I dont use perl myself )

--
Karanbir Singh
CentOS Project { http://www.centos.org/ }
irc: z00dax, #centos at irc.freenode.net
-------- End of Forwarded message -------

There was an additional post to the same SL M/L thread which has a
link relevant to fixing the broken RH perl.

http://use.perl.org/~nicholas/journal/37274

Akemi