[CentOS-devel] Re: perl-devel package

Tue Aug 5 00:32:21 UTC 2008
Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net>

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 01:23:05PM -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> I wanted to install the latest Subversion, version 1.5.1, on CentOS
> 5. [...] I attempted to build it and it failed due to a missing
> "perl-devel" package. Some investigation indicates that somewhere in
> Fedora's history the headers and development utilities in Perl got
> broken out into a separate subpackage. [...]

> This is mostly a heads-up to others that might run into this, but I'm
> wondering what the best way to deal with it is. Should I comment out the
> BuildReq, or create a virtual package that provides perl-devel and
> depends on the existing perl package?

I'd go for the latter. That is how I also deal with
python-devel/python(abi)/python-abi for older CentOSes or xfree86 ->
xorg changes (see the compat package at ATrpms). It is the cleanest
and less maintenance needing solution, as you will not need to touch
the subversion specfile, at least not in this part.

In general I try to package up things for the latest bits of
CentOS/RHEL/etc (which is indeed RawHide, even if it is years before
it shows up as a CentOS release) and try (as much as possible) to keep
the same specfile for elder environments with virtual provides, stub
packages etc.

But a perl-devel stub would be nice for CentOS plus/extras and
certainly for rpmrepo - which should also ship a newer subversion
package in its replacement tagged repos.

BTW did you check Dag's repo for a CentOS packages subversion? I just
did, it doesn't yet carry 1.5.x, but I'm sure if you ask Dag it will
soon do (although I think currently Dag enjoys some well deserved
off-the-net-time).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net