[CentOS-devel] Rawhide

Tue Aug 5 23:09:39 UTC 2008
Jeff Johnson <n3npq at mac.com>

On Aug 5, 2008, at 6:06 PM, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> It doesn't matter who does it or where - making something that is
>>> not
>>> inherently backwards compatible is bound to cause pain.
>>
>> As does making something which has to be backwards compatible all the
>> time.
>
> Exactly, both comments conjured a smile on my face :)

While I'm happy to see a smile on yer face, and backward compatibility
is incredibly important (you are one of the few who understands that
importance),

     *BUT*

I'm forced to point out that the engineering changes that led to the
creation of perl-devel
packaging are quite sound. The perl package always was a messy
mixture of modules
and other "stuff", pretending otherwise is foolish.

One needs to balance fixes against compatibility on a case by case
basis. No one rule, or one policy, can be generally applied.

73 de Jeff -- who really doesn't wish to be an apologetic advocate of
Fedora "suicide"