[CentOS-devel] Rebuild xorg

Alain PORTAL alain.portal at free.fr
Sun Dec 21 19:00:51 UTC 2008

Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, Alan Bartlett a écrit :

> As I'm not at my home system (and have don't currently have remote access
> to it), I'll see what I can find out about that device tomorrow. Now the
> following is from memory -- from a CLI, you could try this command (IIRC):
>
> system-config-display --reconfig --set-resolution=1024x768 --set-depth=24
> --set-driver=vesa
>
> You might prefer to boot the system into single-user mode before invoking
> the above command.

Change inittab and reboot before typing your s-c-d command.
startx failed with this error:

(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

It seems that for using the vesa module, I have to build an old style
xorg.conf (XFree86.conf ?) with a Section "Monitor" that hold HorizSync and
VertRefresh options and that define several ModeLine options,
and several Modes options in SubSection "Display" of the Section "Screen".

Like the attachement file of the bug 1862
http://bugs.centos.org/file_download.php?file_id=205&type=bug

However, I don't know how to create these ModeLines, since the XFree86 Video
Timings seems very old.

regards,
Alain
--