[CentOS-devel] Rebuild xorg

William L. Maltby

CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Dec 21 16:55:21 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 17:11 +0100, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, William L. Maltby a écrit :
>
> > You ought to be able to get at least VESA stuff.
>
> In xorg.conf, if I replace vga by vesa for driver, and if I try to startx, it
> failed and I get the following (incomplette) message:
>
> (EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> As my default xorg.conf was created with pyxf86config, there is no mode
> neither modelines defined.
>
> > As root, from a console in run level 3 (telinit 3), try
>
> I'm in this run level since installation.
>
> >     system-config-display
>
> I tried this, but as it is running in a 320x200 vga mode, I can't see a lot of
> things. I think I see less than a quarter of the dialog window.

Time for extreme measures. At boot prompt, add to the end of the kernel
line, via the grub edit facility "vga=ask", IIRC.

I can't find the kernel parameters docs on my system ATM, so this is a
guess from memory. Maybe I need kernel development to get those notes?

Anyway, that should give you a list of pre-defined modes, numeric.
Google before you do this and get a list of possible ones. I would pick
the 1024x768 as a first try. IIRC another is 800x640. There's a
1240x1076(?) I think too.

> Regards.
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH