[CentOS-devel] Rebuild xorg

Sun Dec 21 21:48:25 UTC 2008
Alain PORTAL <alain.portal at free.fr>

Le dimanche 21 décembre 2008, William L. Maltby a écrit :

> If you get to single-user with a boot (adding the " 1" in grub edit
> mode), alternate consoles will have some stuff of possible value.
> <CTRL>-<ALT>-<Fx> (where the Fx is function key F1, F2, F3, ...) should
> switch you to other screens. Also, <ALT>-<RIGHT> or <ALT>-<LEFT> can be
> used to cycle through. If X has not been started, the <CTRL> can be
> omitted from that first set I mentioned.

If I start up in single user mode, I get only one console. No switch possible.
So I start in run-level 3.

> Once you are at the root prompt, do the system-config-display with no
> parameters. Looking at the alternate consoles while the config is
> running might be helpful.

If I run system-config-display in, saying tty1, it start successfully.
If I switch to tty2, then back to tty1, I don't see the system-config-display
dialog any more, just the command I typed before.

> If the system finds _any_ driver it can use - e.g. vga, svga, vesa - it
> should bring up a graphical screen that has a computer icon and some
> tabs for display, multi-head, etc. There's a couple drop-down menus that
> let you select resolution, color depth, etc.

Unfortunately, resolution is too low (320x200), so, I can't see the "Cancel"
and "Valid" or "OK" button of the system-config-display dialog.

> Select something not too "heavy" and save the settings and exit.
>
> If only part of the screen is visible, maybe the screen is scrollable?

Unfortunately not.

> Try moving the mouse off the edge (Hmm. Is the mouse working during this
> process? I forgot to test that).

Mouse is working.

> 1) Can you get/see what I described at all?
> 2) If you can, and if you make and save changes, you should be able to
> get to a graphical screen later. BUT FIRST ...
> 3) At a root prompt, type dmesg | less and look for any messages that
> might give clues. This might be useful regardless of the results of 2).
>
> Also, there might be useful messages in /var/log/messages
> and /var/log/Xorg.*.

I don't know if I can post such heavy files here...
This is a devel list, not a user one.
Xorg.0.log is 38Kb and messages is 435Kb !

> I don't recall what card you have - nvidia?

VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M71 [Mobility Radeon X2100]
(rev ce) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

I think now it's a X server problem as it can't compute modelines for vga
module. I get, in Xorg.0.log, many lines as:
(II) VGA(0): Not using default mode "320x240" (insufficient memory for mode)

Lines differs in mode value

(II) VGA(0): Not using default mode "1920x1200" (insufficient memory for mode)

I know that the 1920x1200 mode is doable.

Regards
Alain
--
Les pages de manuel Linux en français