[CentOS-devel] Defining what CentOS is

Mon Dec 22 22:15:59 UTC 2008
Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org>

Dag Wieers wrote:
> We might be able to kill more than one bird with a single stone, so I am
> looking for more things we want to prevent distributors/integrators doing
> without making it impossible for them to use CentOS altogether.

so, a sort of Best Practices for these people, sounds like a good idea.
I should dig out my talk from last Fosdem as well. That might go well
with this page.

> My first concern was the support problem, what do we (at minimum) expect
> to have when users say they have a CentOS. A working yum using the CentOS
> official repositories, a minimal set of official packages (which ?).
>
> Without complying to the list of requirements, they may not refer to
> CentOS (and people will not have the wrong expectations for support).
>
>  	http://wiki.centos.org/About/CentOS-product-definition
>
> Feedback please ?

Its not immediately clear as to who this is targeting. Is it for people
who base their products off CentOS ? or is it for the Users who end up
with broken setups ? The reason for my confusion is that the doc seems
to target the product builders, but the support issue is something that
comes down to the users.

Also, as far as I am concerned, if their product has >= 1 rpm taken from
CentOS, then thats what it is, based on CentOS, based around CentOS,
incorporating CentOS, whatever one might term it as. If its got bits
from CentOS, they should be able to tell people its got bits from CentOS.

--
Karanbir Singh
CentOS Project { http://www.centos.org/ }
irc: z00dax, #centos at irc.freenode.net