[CentOS-devel] New Horde version ... should we upgrade?

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Tue Jul 15 10:33:47 UTC 2008

There is a new version of the Horde framework and the other packages
that go with it.  The new framework is 3.2.x and most of the other
<name>-h3-<version> apps also go up a minor number.

The problem with this upgrade is that there is a new database schema and
it is a "lots of admin action required" upgrade to a new version.  I
can't really run the database upgrade SQL script during the upgrade
process, so the user is left with a broken system after the upgrade.

With enterprise linux distros, upgrades like this are to be avoided.  So
the question is ... do we just leave Horde at latest 3.1.x level and use
3.2.X in CentOS-6?

There is the possibility of a horde32 (and all the others apps also as
required) and set that to conflict with "horde < 3.2" on C5, BUT that
introduces it's own issues.

My feeling is that we stick with the latest horde in the 3.1.x series in
CentOS-4 and CentOS-5 (which is 3.1.8) and we wait until CentOS-6 where
we will introduce the 3.2.x series (and all the associated apps).

What does everyone else think?

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes