[CentOS-devel] perl-devel package

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Jul 30 20:23:05 UTC 2008

I wanted to install the latest Subversion, version 1.5.1, on CentOS 5. I
knew it wouldn't be in the CentOS repos (although I checked anyway) so I
went looking in Fedora Rawhide and pulled down the SRPM I found there. I
attempted to build it and it failed due to a missing "perl-devel" package.
Some investigation indicates that somewhere in Fedora's history the headers
and development utilities in Perl got broken out into a separate
subpackage. It looks like this happened at 5.8.8-15.

This is mostly a heads-up to others that might run into this, but I'm
wondering what the best way to deal with it is. Should I comment out the
BuildReq, or create a virtual package that provides perl-devel and depends
on the existing perl package?