[CentOS-devel] CentOS Forums again

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 16:29:54 UTC 2008

Ned Slider wrote:
>> My feeling is that the most productive way to get forward with the
>> website/forum update is to split the forum from the website. In my
>> experience the forum present in CMS tools aren't made for the amount
>> of traffic we are having. So something dedicated sound like a better
>> option. So I have been looking around for open source forum software
>> that link to ldap without to much effort. I've looked at 3 projects
>> (Phorum, phpBB and SMF). They all 3 are good looking, well featured
>> and maintained. Though, only phpBB has a decent built-in LDAP
>> integration (FreeIPA is built on top of LDAP).
> <snip>
>> So what do people think, did I miss stuff, other suggestions, ...
> A thread has started at the forums for forum users to let folks know
> what they would like to see in terms of features/usability:
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14921&forum=45
> Obviously this is approaching the issue from an end user PoV, but it may
> be helpful in understanding what the community wants when choosing what
> software to use. Personally I would think any of the major dedicated
> forum software would be an improvement in terms of features/usability
> compared to the current system and provide many of the features that
> users are looking for as standard.

Why not hook up whatever these guys are using as an email<->forum
gateway so you don't have to log in all the time to reply:
  There was really no impact at all on the backuppc list when it was
added other than perhaps a few more beginner-type questions.  I don't
know specifically what the gateway software is, but it is independent
from the mail list and appears as a single subscriber.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com