[CentOS-devel] rhwas 5 work?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 12:40:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Joe Pruett wrote:
>  > are there people working on getting the rhwas 5 rpms builtup for
>  > centosplus 5?  the gophp5 people are starting to have an impact and
>  > drupal users are wanting php 5.2, which i was surprised to see in the
>  > rhwas srpms directory.  the users might even be willing to be testers
>  > since they're on a virtual server.
>
>  Yes, been working on the rhwas stuff for centos5, and I was going to post an
>  email on this list about that tomorrow.
>
>  Some of the components, like php5/mysql/httpd/mod_perl etc build with no issues
>  - however, the Java bits are a bit tricky. And to be honest, I could use some
>  help from people who know a bit more about the situation.
>
>  We cant build and ship out the java stuff without using some jre / jvm - IcedTea
>  is not quite there yet. And I dont think we can actually ship any jdk due to
>  licensing issues. Could we ?

Java items require a contract and permission to ship from each of the
vendors (IBM, BEA, Sun). Part of this comes from the overlying Sun
contract that IBM/BEA have with Sun to use the Java trademark, and
some come from usual business practices. With the application itself
licensing is also involved, but that seems to be limited in some ways.
Blech... every time I have had to deal with this in the past... the
lawyers have to work it out first.