[CentOS-devel] Modifying CentOS label's.

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Wed Mar 5 11:06:01 UTC 2008

Ivan Gonzalez wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> Well i want to create my own distribution (base system
> only 1 cd) based on CentOS 5.1 but i can't find what
> to do to modify all the text's that say CentOS while
> anaconda is installing. I fonud this script:
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.centos.devel/2006-08/msg00119.html
>
> But i don't know the path where it should be
> running...
>
> Is there something like this to personalize my distro
> or some other tool that can change all CentOS
> label's??
>
> I really appreciate your help.
> Hope someone can help me.

We are not normally going to spend a lot of time telling someone how to
create a competitor to CentOS ... however, there are a couple SRPMS
packages you can look at:

1. redhat-logos
2. redhat-artwork
3. anaconda
4. specso

Almost everything that controls the themes, package descriptions, and
distro naming are controlled there.

If you were to compare the differences between CentOS and Red Hat's
SRPMS, you should be able to ascertain what we changed and do the same
yourself.

Everything that has a .centos in the name that is in the base and
updates repo has been changed by centos.  You should be able to read the
  changelog and compare it to upstream to see what we have changed.

How to build the distro / iso after changing all RPMS is to use
buildinstall:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/BuildInstall

(we use CentOS as the product name ... you would use something else)

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes