[CentOS-devel] rhwas 5 work?

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Mar 27 02:11:50 UTC 2008

John Summerfield wrote:
>> We cant build and ship out the java stuff without using some jre / jvm
>> - IcedTea is not quite there yet. And I dont think we can actually
>> ship any jdk due to licensing issues. Could we ?
>
> I'm sure you can ship jre, always have "with your application." Wrt jdk,
> I'd check the licence with the latest, and if in doubt ask Sun or ship
> something to download it and install it from Sun's site.

I am relatively sure that putting jre in a repo didnt meet the criteria of 'with
the app'. Sun had something called the DDL for distro's that wanted to ship
their Java stack, however their terms didnt go down well with the CentOS
developers and also they wanted various bits of paper signed etc. So, imho,
Sun's stuff is quite far off the radar.

RedHat seem to rely on Bea stack, does anyone have a decent idea on what their
terms might be ? Would someone like to actually knock on their door and ask ?