[CentOS-devel] rhwas 5 work?

Thu Mar 27 15:16:55 UTC 2008
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>  > Java items require a contract and permission to ship from each of the
>  > vendors (IBM, BEA, Sun). Part of this comes from the overlying Sun
>  > contract that IBM/BEA have with Sun to use the Java trademark, and
>  > some come from usual business practices. With the application itself
>  > licensing is also involved, but that seems to be limited in some ways.
>  > Blech... every time I have had to deal with this in the past... the
>  > lawyers have to work it out first.
>
>  Considering we dont have any lawyers, what would the next step be ?

It would be probably contacting Sun, IBM, BEA to find out what is
required for us to ship their RPM with our stuff. They would probably
send a long legalese document that some 'official' body has to sign so
that they can revoke our shipping their packages if we violate
something like their patents, trademark, time of day, etc. Then we get
a lawyer to evaluate that document (or just wish and pray and sign
it), and decide if whatever CentOS organization can sign away its
second kin and third cousins once removed to ship the packages.

Which all probably relates to whether there is an organization that
Sun, IBM, BEA, etc consider that they can make a business contract
with.

Anyway thats my guess but I am running on little sleep.