[CentOS-devel] CentOS mailing list for job offers

Ralph Angenendt

ra+centos at br-online.de
Mon May 5 15:23:46 UTC 2008

Developers, developers, developers ...

We had a short discussion about "How to offer jobs / How to search for
people who know CentOS" within the existing CentOS infrastructure. We
dismissed the idea of putting a "Jobs forum" at
<http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/>, neither did we want a section on
the web site which would have to be cared about by some sort of
editorial staff.

(Note: We can still discuss about that)

What we thought about is a CentOS-jobs mailing list to which you can
send a mail when you want to offer a job in which CentOS plays a role.

Some (rather unsorted) thoughts which came up:

- Do we also want people to be able to search for jobs (my opinion: No)
- should that list be moderated (my opinion: Yes - by maybe more than
  one person)
- Which standards do we need for a job to be posted there? That helps
  weeding out some "get criminal quick" schemes or other snowball
  schemes.
- Do we want an unmoderated discussion list besides that for discussing
  about job offers - like on Usenet (my opinion: No, that really is a
  way for quick and lasting flame fests)

And the biggest questions: Do we need that all? Do you have another
vision of how we can do those job offerings within our infrastructure?
Do you have experiences with stuff like that? Do *you* want to moderate
that list (or at least help with that)?

Discuss. I'd be particularly interested in the standards for job
offerings.

Cheers,

Ralph