[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5 ServerCD ?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Nov 3 21:52:23 UTC 2008

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> It will be usefull for those who with to walk around with a CD drive and
> need to install servers.

the only issue with that is what / how would you define 'servers'. Its
easier to work with something like a package list of what would be
considered reasonable to have on a default install, then remove the
option to make installtime package selections and deliver only that raw
package manifest thats been pre-selected.

> Preferably with support for things like XFS. One the basic system is up
> one can pull in everything else. Apache, mysql and the lot are all
> things that can be pulled in once the basic installation is done.

ok, xfs is venturing into centosplus lands...

> But iptables, ntpd, sshd are however things I considere part of the core
> installation.

How about you work out a list, we can then all argue over it, whatever
packages get onto the list then can pose a potential manifest to work with ?

> I guess that would be a significantly small CD to be around for future
> releases as well.

yup, I am trying to automate things as much as possible, so once we have
something in the grinding machine, it should stay there.

- KB