[CentOS-devel] rubygems rpm spec file

Matt Rose mrose at n-able.com
Tue Nov 18 22:40:09 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Matt Rose wrote:
>
>> central repo for exactly this kind of stuff.   I wonder how hard it
>> would be to do a gem2rpm script, like perl has with cpan2rpm.
>>

> there already is a gem2rpm script, and it works fine. I've churned the
> entire gem base in Feb 2008 to prove it. Some of the ri handing isnt
> ideal, but it works or is simple to patch out. I was lazy and only
> really wanted to sanity check and did not mind either ri or rdoc in the
> roots.

The ri and rdoc handling needs some special care.  IMHO the doc tree
should go in /usr/share/doc, and I don't think that gems, or ruby are
built to do that.   I think that some kind of docs should go in
/usr/share/doc (I hate installing rpms with no documentation), but
installing docs in the correct location takes a little bit of brain
scratching.

I found the gem2rpm rpm, I'll play with it in the coming days.

Matt