[CentOS-devel] rubygems rpm spec file

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Wed Nov 19 17:59:05 UTC 2008

On Nov 19, 2008, at 6:52 AM, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> projects.centos.org solves this very problem :D
>> But we would need a standard for the specs to get adopted, and
>> working
>> with atleast the Fedora standards would be a good place to start.
> For gems I think adoption of the generated spec files from gem2rpm is
> quite okay - those specs look very clean. Find one attached.

The generated spec file is perhaps a little bit unnecessarily ornate.

For starters, I know of no reliable or wide-spread usage atm for
	Provides: ruby(foo)
so feel free to use that rather than
	Provides: rubygems(foo)

A separate namespace for rubygems(...) is unlikely to be widely
adopted imho, feel free to use ruby(...) instead.

Also please note that there is little reason to add ruby peculier
for any reason yet. The world of RPM is littered with
various Provides: that seemed like a good idea to someone but never
actually caught on. If you do want to attempt ruby specific
focus on extracting Requires:, the Provides: are very easy to
retrofit where needed once the Requires: reach a certain level
of usage.

OTOH, additional Provides: wrapped in their own foo(bar) name space
hurt nothing

But KISS is always better imho.

73 de Jeff