[CentOS-devel] using GIT as VCS for packaging rpms

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Nov 7 13:29:33 UTC 2008

Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
>>> 	http://fedora.gitbits.net/
>> do you really not use packages with $name[0] > a ?
>
> They are there, they're just not on the front page.

ah cool. it did seem a bit strange. So you guys decided on doing the one
git repo per package route... That is the route I dont want to take with
the centos stuff. Mainly :

1- how would one checkout a complete tree ( eg, i want a 5.2-ppc branch
checkout, and include all packages in that branch )

2- adding a new package would mean adding knowledge about that package
at every step of the way from the packagers upto the build masters, arch
masters, testing stages, release and sign stage, mirror and push stages.
I suppose one might work around that a bit by having yet another git
repo that only has / tracks package status but that seems ugly.

one thing that the repo-per-package route fix's for git is the ACL
issue. with everything in one git-repo, its tricky getting people->
access levels going. Its almost a case of resorting to people doing
commits via patch on email. Which then in turn creates a bottleneck in
that only some specific people can commit into the builder-visible-repo.

or am i just thinking too much svn'ish and not enough git'ish ?