[CentOS-devel] using GIT as VCS for packaging rpms

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Nov 9 23:43:51 UTC 2008

Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> So to me it
> would seem that all the metadata needed to build the distro should be
> something that you want to version control individually?

Most of this goes into the spec file itself. There are some things that
are package dependant and not carried in the spec file - eg, the
perpackage builder hints. But yes, I see your point. However, in the
CentOS context, tracking this info with the package is easiest ( eg.
which packages contribute to mixed arch, or even more complex when only
some subpackages from the present package are contributed when the main
package is not ).

> (Note that the (1) use case is rather rare, and if you're not
> truncating history when checking out, you'll end up with a couple of
> gigabytes worth of checkout.)

Its not that corner case for us in the CentOS builder setups, we handle
most things for the entire distro as a single collection and run
branches for the entire trunk/ with each major released! Even signaling
for the buildsystem is being done via a tag across the entire distro
tree, and we do that a few times every release.

This is the sort of thing I meant with my 'thinking in svn terms'...

but thanks for your feedback, its helped confirm and reenforce the lines
that I was thinking about as well.