[CentOS-devel] Some T-Shirt's decorations

Manuel Wolfshant

wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Tue Nov 25 01:07:51 UTC 2008

On 11/24/2008 10:45 PM, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>
>> Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
>>> There are some t-shirt's decorations available at:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.centos.org/Promo/Tshirts
>>
>> Okay. The second one is completely "overloaded". The first one would
>> look good with only one of the "flowers".
>>
>> The rest somehow is missing the CentOS reference, as I don't think that
>> the slogans are self explaining.
>>
>> But the overall looks is great, we'd just have to mix some CentOS
>> reference in there >:)
>
> That is why for the stickers we chose to take the slogan:
>
>     CentOS: Enterprise Linux for the people
>
> So that at least people know that it is an Enterprise Linux and they
> are included as the target market :) (besides in South America you
> have strong people movements)
>
> What I like on a poster is to give away the important characteristics
> of an Enterprise Linux. There are ofcourse many, and some are more
> interesting to some people than others.
>
> In my presentations I always talk about:
>
>     secure, stable, predictable and reproducable
>
> If we look at what Enterprise Linux means, an important one is that
> security updates are low-risk and available as soon as they are ready
> and tested. As a result the deliverables are stable and systems
> running an Enterprise Linux are predictable in behaviour.
>
> Thanks to the fact that the environment does not change too often,
> experiences and problems are reproducable on other systems.
>
> So to me the poster and future promotional material should indicate
> that CentOS is an Enterprise Linux, and it should include those 4
> important keywords.
>
> What do other people think ?
I 100% approve your thoughts. But I would not add "predictable " and "
reproducable " on a shirt, unless it would also trigger some funny
thoughts (as in "I am a sysadmin, I am predictable, I just read your
mail"). Second thought, as a heavy BOFH reader, I would be amused but I
am not sure how funny would that be for our victims... ups, I meant for
our users :)

As a parenthesis the flower raises in me anything but the sentiment of
"enterprise". It's nice for a summer beach shirt and recalls Woodstock
and the flower power concept, but I would not associate it with linux in
any way.

    manuel